Water Europe launches 1st edition of 'Atlas of the European Water Oriented Living Labs'
- July 5, 2019
- Category: Water issues, Technology, Europe
Water Europe has announced the launch the first edition of the “Atlas of the European Water-Oriented Living Labs” which contains a first-ever mapping and categorisation of European (Water-oriented Living Labs).
Water Europe, the pan-Europe member-based multi-stakeholder platform, is the recognized voice and promotor of water-related RTD and innovation in Europe.
The Water Oriented Living Labs (WoLLs) are a key tool for the implementation of Water Europe’s Vision The Value of Water, to promote the systematic innovations in the water systems that are needed to achieve a Water-Smart Society and economy.
WoLLs are defined as:
- Real-life, water-oriented demo-type and platform-type environments of a cross-sector nexus approach.
- ‘Field labs’ where a combination of solutions can be developed, tested and validated.
- Open and local multi-stakeholder governance structures with democratic control systems.
The selected WoLLs are categorised in the Atlas according to:
- User type
- Geographical scale
- Value creation type
- Market positioning
- Technology development phase
- Maturity level
- Service offering
- Link with Water Europe’s Vision
Over 200 RDI settings were identified in 24 European countries.
The majority of Water oriented Living Labs are located in Denmark, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, and UK. In total, 105 water oriented living lab research settings met the Water Europe Living Labs assessment criteria.
The water oriented living labs have various organizational forms: action lab, association, cluster, experimental catchment, urban lab, water treatment plant, research platform, and network platform.
The geographical scale of the majority of living labs is sub regional.
Click here to access ‘Atlas of the European Water Oriented Living Labs’